Collaborating with People Outside Your Organization
Whether you're using an outside agency or working with volunteers, it's easy to bring people, workflows, and communications into Workplace. People outside of your organization will love how simple and familiar Workplace is, and having a central place for communication will help you get more done together. This guide will walk you through using multi-company groups and provide you with best practices for collaborating across organizations in Workplace.
How to do it in Workplace
Create a new group and select Multi-Company from the group type menu. MCGs provide a separate and secure space for members from multiple companies to communicate, share files, and gather feedback. Keep in mind that all members will be able to see each other's profile name and job title.
Multi-Company groups can be closed or secret:
- Closed groups: only group members can see posts, but anyone in the same Workplace community can find the group and see who's in it.
- Secret groups: only members can find the group, see who's in it, and see posts. This includes members from the other Workplace communities you're working with.
Send invitations to the people you work with by adding their email addresses. The people you invite will only have access to your multi-company group and won't be able to see any other groups or organization-specific features such as Org Chart.
Pin a post3. Pin a post
Create a post that outlines your goals, key dates, available resources, and any other important information. Pin that post to the top of the group page so people can refer to it easily.
Workplace makes it easy to share files from the other tools you use every day. But to ensure the security of your files and content, file sharing integrations are turned off for multi-company groups. You can still share downloadable files in your multi-company groups. Simply click into the Write a post box and select "Add file" to upload a file from your computer or phone.
Use the search bar in the group to find posts, files, or comments you need to refer to. All the files that have been shared in your group are easy to find again in the Files tab on your group page.
Create a document directly in Workplace to share important information with your group. Add a cover photo to make it stand out in the group feed, and make it a living document by selecting “Allow group members to edit this document”. Workplace documents are great for creating agendas, compiling meeting notes, and developing project planning materials.
Use @mentions to gather feedback from specific members of the group. @mentions can also be used to assign tasks or to call attention to important content. When a new person joins the group, be sure to @mention them in important posts so they can caught up. Users that are @mentioned will receive a notifications through Workplace and through email.
Use Workplace reactions to acknowledge people's posts. Reactions make collaboration feel personal and engaging.
Polls can help you make decisions faster as a team. Use them to gather feedback, create meeting agendas, and set meeting times. Team members can vote on items and even add their own.
To get feedback from other teams, create an open cross functional feedback group for your project. This will keep other members of your organization up-to-date on your work and progress, and provide you with more feedback and perspective.
Create a group chat for your MCG by manually adding your group members and naming the chat (we recommend using your group name). Send a message to the group introducing them to the chat feature. Members of the MCG that are outside of your organization will receive message requests that they'll need to accept.
Use chat for communication that would otherwise clutter your group page. Chats are best in situations when you need an answer fast, or when you're just chatting back and forth socially. Information can get buried in a chat after a few days, so make sure you post important content directly to your group page.
Download the Workplace and Workplace Chat apps if you haven't already, and encourage other members of the MCG download them as well. The Workplace and Workplace Chat apps help you stay connected so you can manage your work anytime, anywhere.
Organizing meetings can be challenging , especially when you're working with other organizations. That's why Workplace has voice and video calling available with every chat. Use voice and video calls to hold meetings with people across timezones and locations.
Or broadcast an in-person meeting by going Live in your group. The Live video will automatically post to your group so anyone that misses the meeting can catch up later.
Pro-tip: create a customer community to build relationships with loyal customers
- Invite your top partners and advocates.
- Use the group to test out ideas for new products and processes.
- Communicate with each other and build positive relationships with your customer base.
- A central place for all communication. Anyone new to the group can read through older posts to catch up.
- Hold meetings anywhere, anytime. And go Live for your meetings so no one misses anything important.
- Simple, real-time communication.
- Centralize all files, resources and communications so nothing gets lost.
- Share files and feedback in a secure space.
- Build positive relationships and better communication with your partners.
More helpful resources
- New to Workplace User Guide - everything your partners will need to get started in Workplace.
- Training and webinars - register to learn directly from Workplace experts.
- The Help Center - step-by-step instructions and answers to frequently asked questions
Workplace Communities - join to see how Workplace uses MCGs to connect with users.