To send a message:
- From Chats, tap in the top right.
- Type or select a contact's name.
- Type your message in the text box at the bottom.
- Tap .
Yes. When you turn off the chat, coworkers will no longer see a next to your name, but their messages will automatically go to your messages inbox for you to read later.
Chat descriptions are only possible on group chats with three or more members.
To add a description to a chat on Workplace:
- Open the chat you'd like to add a description for.
- Below Description to the right of the chat, click + and tell your coworkers what this chat is for.
- Add the description. For example, tell your colleagues what the chat is for, note important links or list FAQs. Note that you can't format your text.
- Click Save.
There's no limit to the length of your chat description. Keep in mind that in a Teams and Projects group, only group admins can add or edit a chat description in a linked chat. For other group chat types, any member can add or edit a chat description.
To remove a message on chat:
- Hover over the message you'd like to remove and clickthen click Remove.
- If you sent the message less than ten minutes before, you’ll have the option to remove the message for everyone in the chat or for just you. If you sent the message more than ten minutes ago, you can only remove the message for yourself.
- Make your selection and click Remove.
Note: Chat group members will see that the message has been removed and the message can still be reported.
To reply to specific messages on Workplace:
- Hover over the portion of the message to which you wish to reply.
- Click Reply that appears next to the selected part of the message.
- Type in your reply and click Send.
Your reply will appear at the bottom of the thread, with the portion of the message to which you are specifically replying quoted directly above your reply.
If you see an error message saying You can’t reply to this conversation on Workplace, it might be because:
- The person you’re trying to message deactivated or deleted their account.
- You’re trying to respond to a group conversation that the other members of the conversation have already left.
- You aren't connected to the Internet.
You can set a status in Workplace for events such as time off sick, traveling, or working from home to let coworkers know where you'll be. Your status will be displayed on your Workplace profile and in Workplace Chat.
To set your status:
- Click on the bottom-left of Workplace.
- Select your emoji and type a message up to 80 characters, or select an option from Suggestions.
- Below Duration, click to select how long you want your status posted.
- Click Set Status.
You're also able to turn on Do Not Disturb. This will mute all notifications unless you are mentioned directly in a post or comment.
Active Status shows your coworkers when you're active or recently active on Workplace. You'll also see when your coworkers are active or recently active.
When your active status is on:
- Your coworkers will see a next to your profile picture and in other places on Workplace.
- You'll see when your coworkers are active or recently active.
When your active status is off:
- If you turn off Active Status in one place, you'll still appear active or recently active anywhere else you're using Workplace unless you also turn off the setting in those places.
- You won't see when your coworkers are active or recently active in each place or app that you've turned off your Active Status.
Keep in mind there may be a delay between when someone becomes active or recently active and when they're shown as active or recently active. Learn how to set your Workplace status.
If you're chatting with someone on Workplace, you can change how your text looks.
To format text in Workplace chat messages:
|Italic||_Text_||Type an underscore before and after the text.|
|Bold||*Text*||Type an asterisk before and after the text.|
|Strikethrough||~Text~||Type a tilde before and after the text.|
|Monospace||`Text`||Type a backtick before and after the text.|
|Quote||> Text||Type a greater-than sign before the text.|
|Codeblock|| ``` |
|LaTeX typesetting||\(Text\)||Type a backslash and then a parenthesis before and after the text.|
You can only set a reminder to come back to a chat message when you're logged into Workplace from your desktop computer or your Android.
To remind yourself to come back to a chat message at a later time:
- Hover over the message, then click More.
- Select Remind me and choose the time you want to be reminded about the chat.
Note: You'll be reminded about the message in the chat thread at the time you've selected. Only you will receive the reminder.
How do I pin a chat?
Pinned chats allow you to mark important chats at the top of your chat window so that you can find, share or review them whenever you'd like.To pin a chat:
- Below Chats, hover over the chat thread you'd like to pin and click .
- Select Pin Chat.
- This chat will now sit near the top of your list, depending on how many other chats you have pinned and in what order.
Keep in mind that you can only pin up to 15 chats.
How do I pin a message?
You can pin a message within a chat so that it's always at the top of your chat thread.To pin a message:
- Hover over the message you'd like to pin.
- Select Pin.
- This message will appear as a bar across the top of your window. To go to the message, click on the bar.
Chat heads let you read and reply to messages while you're using other apps.
A chat head with your coworker's picture will pop up when you get a new message. To view and reply to the message without leaving the screen you're on, just tap the chat head.
You can use your finger to move chat heads around on your screen, or drag them to the bottom of the screen to close them when you're done chatting.
If you're using Android Marshmallow and chat heads aren't appearing, you'll need to turn them on.
To turn on chat heads in Android Marshmallow:
- In Workplace Chat, tap your profile picture in the top-left.
- Scroll down to Chat Heads.
- Toggle to turn Chat Heads on or off.
Chat heads are only available on Android.
Reactions, mentions and stickers
Stickers are illustrations or animations of characters that you can send to your coworkers. Stickers were created to help you share how you’re feeling and add personality to your chats.
If you haven't downloaded any sticker packs yet, or want to download more:
- Open the sticker store from a chat by clicking then .
- Click Free next to the sticker pack you want to add.
To send a sticker:
- Open a chat with a coworker or group of coworkers.
- Click .
- Click any sticker to send it instantly or click the arrows at the top to scroll to another sticker pack.
Learn how to delete sticker packs in Workplace Chat.
To remove a sticker pack in Workplace Chat:
- Open the sticker store from a chat by clicking then .
- Scroll to the sticker pack you want to remove and click Remove.
If you delete a sticker pack you can always download it again at a later time. Learn how to download a sticker pack on Workplace.
Reactions in Workplace Chat are a quick and easy way to respond to a message with an emoji to express how you feel. Your reaction options are: smile, angry, sad, wow, love, yes and no. You can react to any media on Workplace Chat, including:
- Text comments
To add a reaction:
- Hover over the message you want to react to.
- Click then click to select your reaction.
You can't react to a reaction.
Keep in mind that if you don't like any of the reaction options available to you, you can always send a different emoji as a message from the Workplace Chat emoji keyboard. Learn how to undo a reaction on Workplace Chat.
To undo a reaction on Workplace Chat:
- Hover over the message you reacted to and click .
- Click the reaction you'd like to remove, or select a different option to change your reaction. You can tell what reaction you left by clicking the reactions to the bottom-right of the message. Your current reaction will show next to your name.
Note: The person you're chatting with won't be notified if you remove a reaction. They'll be notified if you add another.
Keep in mind that there's no time limit to how often you can change a reaction.
Files and photos
To add a file to your message on Workplace when you're logged in from your computer:
- Click at the bottom of the chat.
- Click .
- Choose the file you'd like to send.
- Complete your message and press Enter to send.
When you include a link to a website in your message (ex: a video or article), a preview of the link will be added to the conversation. Once the preview appears, you can delete the link to just send the preview.
To view all the photos, videos and files shared in a Workplace chat conversation on your computer:
- Navigate to Shared to the right of the chat.
- From there, you'll be able to see all media and files shared within the chat.
Blocking and reporting
You can report any chat on Workplace, including multi-company chats.
To report a chat:
- Click in the top-right of the chat.
- Select Report Chat. If you're reporting a group chat, you'll need to pick the member whose chat you're reporting.
- Choose the reason why you're reporting the chat then click Submit. The last 50 messages of the chat will be reported.
- You can then choose to mute or permanently hide the conversation.
Note: If you're using Workplace Advanced or Enterprise, your reported chat will go to the Workplace Admins of the person you reported. Once you click Submit, the last 50 messages of the chat will be reported to the admin, who'll then decide whether to take action. You won't be notified when a decision is made.
When you block messages from someone, they can't send you messages or call you on Workplace or Workplace Chat.
When you block messages from someone, they can still:
- See your profile on Workplace.
- See you or search for you on Workplace or Workplace Chat.
- See your messages if you're both in the same group conversation. If you and the person you block are in a group conversation together, you'll be notified before you enter the conversation.
You can't block messages from people within your organization. You can only block messages from people outside of your organization.
To block messages from someone on Workplace Chat:
- Click the person in Workplace Chat who you want to block.
- Click and select Privacy Options.
- Click Block Messages > Block Messages.
Learn how to unblock someone on Workplace.