Create a Group
Learn about the different types of groups and how to create them for your Workplace.
After you create a group you have the option to choose a group type. Group types help organize your groups.
To choose a group type:
- Visit your group.
- Click below your group's cover photo.
- Click Admin Options.
- Click next to Group Type.
- Select your group type and click Save.
Group types include:
- Teams & Projects: Share and discuss updates with your team or project. This group type has an automatically synced chat attached to it, and is closed by default. T&P groups have a group member limit of 250 people. There are no group moderators in this group type, only group admins. Automated group membership isn't allowed.
- Open Discussions: Give feedback on projects, products or other initiatives.
- Announcements: Share company events, updates to policies or other company wide announcements. Announcement groups have notifications switched on for all users, regardless of member count.
- Social & More: Get to know your coworkers in groups for sports, hobbies or other social activities.
- Learning & Development: Set up a learning space for your company.
- Multi-Company Groups: Allow people from multiple organizations to collaborate. MCGs can be secret or closed. You can invite people from other companies to multi-company groups. You'll see the option to create a multi-company group when creating a new group.
To create a group:
- In the panel to the left of your News Feed, click Groups. You may need to press See More to see the full list of apps.
- Click Create Group.
- Pick a group type and fill in your group name.
- Choose the privacy setting for your group then click Next.
- Select the coworkers you'd like to add to the group then click Add to group or click Skip if you don't want to add anyone to the group right now.
You'll still be able to add coworkers to your group after it's created.
Note: If you're an admin on Workplace, you can create multiple groups at once by clicking Groups from your Admin Panel, and then clicking Create Multiple Groups. You'll then have the option to create groups with a spreadsheet or to create groups from an email list.
Keep in mind that once you create a group you'll automatically become the admin of that group.
Workplace admins can upload or change cover photos for their groups.
To upload a cover photo:
- On your group page, hover over the cover photo and click Upload Cover Photo in the top right corner.
- Upload a cover photo, drag to reposition then click Save.
To change an existing cover photo, hover over the photo and click Update cover photo then click Upload Cover Photo.
For best results, choose a group cover photo that's 2048 pixels wide and 1032 pixels tall. For different formats, visit this link.
Note: If an admin doesn't upload an image, group members may be able to add a cover photo themselves.